To round out our Hat Trick of 2016 GABF Guides, we bring you… Chili Beers! Hot and spicy or aromatic and smooth, we like chili beers all different ways. For craft beer drinkers like us out there, this is the guide for you. We hope you’re able to find all of the chili beers you love.
* We are now featuring 21 Chili Beers! If you have one you would like us to add, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll make it happen.
(Beers are listed alphabetically by region/section, color coded to the signage at the festival, then alphabetically by brewery name.)
- “Angry Fisher Habañero Porter,” by Northwoods Brewpub and Grill (BP12)
- 6.0% ABV Porter brewed with chocolate roasted Munich malts, this porter has a mild heat from locally grown Habañero peppers that adds a surprising finish.
Great Lakes Region
- “HB EXP 03,” by Hunter’s Brewing Company (T6)
- 6.8% ABV Golden Ale featuring the flavor and aroma of New Mexico green chile.
“Meet The Brewer” Hall
- “Mexican Chocolate Stout,” by Copper Kettle Brewing Company (W26)
- 7.0% ABV Dynamic stout with cinnamon, cacao nibs, and chili peppers.
- “Ghost of Alfred Brown,” by Peticolas Brewing Co (Y3)
- 5.5% ABV Chili beer with Ghost Peppers added into a fermenter full of Alfred Brown gives this beer a wicked twist. Notes of tobacco, chocolate, and malt sweetness give way to a slow building warming sensation imparted by the infamous ghost pepper chili.
- ” Chocolate Chipotle Porter,” by Seabright Brewery (X3)
- 6.8% ABV beer is a lightly smoked chocolate chipotle porter made with heaps and heaps of organic cacao nibs.
- “Laze About,” by Verboten Brewing (Z12)
- 6.5% ABV American golden ale with roasted Habañero, Jalapeño peppers, and Palisade peaches. A little sweet with a hint of heat.
Mid Atlantic Region
- “Jalapeño Rye,” by Big Alice Brewing Company (A7)
- 7% ABV Chili Beer with a big spicy nose. Mellows out with flavors of a fresh Bell Pepper. Dark in appearance.
- “Welcome to Scoville,” by Jailbreak Brewing Company (A32)
- 9% ABV artisanal style IPA combining mildly bitter hops, fresh Jalapeño peppers and cilantro. With a moderate malt profile, this culinary concoction offers both an easy drinking IPA and a bowl full of Jalapeños without the burn one might expect.
- “Green Hatch Chili Ale,” by Flat Branch Pub and Brewing (C13)
- 5.7% ABV Chili Beer with 99% 2 row, 1% C-140L base beer infused with 44# Hatch Chile 10# Anaheim during fermentation which adds pepper flavor and touch of heat.
- “Huck’s Habañero Apricot Wheat,” by Mark Twain Brewing Company (C21)
- 5.5% ABV hybrid style of American Wheat, Pepper Beer, and Fruit Beer. Huck’s is malty and sweet on the front, with the heat from fresh Habañero peppers apparent on the finish. The sweetness from the apricots tames the spice, making this a unique combination.
- “CO-Brew Pepper Wheat (Pro-am),” by CO-Brew (F31)
- 5.2% ABV Chili Wheat Beer with a 4-Pepper Blend.
- “El Duende Verde,” by Riff Raff Brewing (H32)
- 5.5% ABV pale ale-base elixir, named in Spanish for “The Goblin,” has pounds of Anaheim peppers added straight to the boil.
- “Jalapeño Lena,” by Yak and Yeti (I30)
- 5.1% ABV Chili Beer that is Light in color, not in flavor. Aged on Jalapeño peppers for a deliciously aromatic and moderately spicy beer.
New England Region (dark gray color)
- Sad Panda, there are no chili beers available in this region this year.
- “Crime,” by Arrogant Brewing (N10)
- 9.6% ABV Arrogant Bastard Ale, Double Bastard Ale, and OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale were sequestered in Kentucky bourbon barrels, then blended with Jalapeño, Serrano, and other chile peppers.
- “Serrano Kölsch,” by Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits (O1)
- 5.2% ABV California Kölsch is a rich golden brew, crafted with aromatic German hops and rounded out with a blend of American and Munich malts with the addition of Serrano peppers.
- “Chili Pepper Ale,” by Six Rivers Brewery (Q25)
- 6.0% ABV Specially brewed wheat ale infused with a secret blend of fresh and fire roasted chilies.
- “Don ‘Chiote,” by Thirsty Bear Organic Brewery (R4)
- 6.8% ABV Export-style Stout brewed with Spanish Anchiote peppers.
Pacific Northwest Region
- “Especial,” by Oakshire Brewing (L12)
- 14% ABV Whiskey Barrel Aged Imperial Stout with Chili peppers, Cocoa, and Coffee.
- “Turn & Burn Porter with Chile Peppers,” by Half Moon Bay Brewing Co (O25)
- 7.7% ABV American Porter with a blend of Anaheim, Guajillo, Ancho, and Habañero peppers for a sweet and lightly smoky flavor.
- “Habañero Hop Pig,” by Sanctuary Brewing Company (M4)
- 7.2% ABV India Pale Ale hopped with Simcoe, Centennial and Amarillo, and dosed with Habañero peppers.
- “Stout Americano,” by Marble Brewery (E10)
- 7% ABV coffee beer is roasty and robust, this chewy stout rides long waves of chocolate malt and an infusion of locally sourced espresso beans. Enjoy with chicharrones, and red chile, stone ground dark chocolate, and the rising sun.
Happy chili beer drinking! Please comment below and tell us which beer is your favorite.