With overwhelming joy expressed for our Coffee Beer Guide, we thought we could also help Great American Beer Festival (GABF) goers find more than enough chocolate beer to satisfy any craving! It is important to note that each beer in this article has actual chocolate (bakers, cacao, cocoa, etc.) added to the beer, which is far better than, “a note of chocolate.”
*Note: we have 41 beers now! If you have one to add, please email email@example.com with the beer’s details and we’ll put it on the list.
(Beers are listed alphabetically by region/section, color coded to the signage at the festival, then alphabetically by brewery name.)
- “Alien Candy Peanut Butter Milk Stout,” by Grand Rounds Brewing Company (BP7)
- 5% ABV creamy, chocolatey Milk Stout. Peanut butter flavor so good, an alien might follow you home for it.
Great Lakes Region
- “Koko Beware,” by 350 Brewing Company (S2)
- 12.5% ABV Russian Imperial Stout w/ cocoa nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, toasted coconut, and coffee.
- “Kitka Coconut Chocolate Milk Stout,” by The Brew Kettle, Taproom and Smokehouse (U1)
- 5.75% ABV traditional Milk Stout which includes the addition of milk sugar for sweetness and body. We add cocoa, chocolate and coconut after fermentation to create this chocolatey confection in a glass.
- “Bourbon Barrel Aged Chocolate Barleywine,” by Moody Tongue Brewing Company (T23)
- 9.0% ABV full-bodied Barleywine carries the flavors of toffee, caramel and dark Oaxacan chocolate alongside notes of vanilla and oak, aged in Woodford Reserve bourbon barrels.
- “Caramelized Chocolate Churro Baltic Porter,” by Moody Tongue Brewing Company (T23)
- 7.0% ABV medium-bodied, coffee-colored Baltic Porter carries the flavors of Madagascar vanilla and Mexican cinnamon with the aromatics of dark Oaxacan chocolate.
“Meet The Brewer” Hall
- “Cerealiously – Count Chocula,” by Black Bottle Brewery (V25)
- 6.2% ABV Chocolate Beer made from Chocolatey Cereal and Marshmallow Bits + Beer.
- “Mexican Chocolate Stout,” by Copper Kettle Brewing Company (W26)
- 7% ABV Dynamic stout with cinnamon, cacao nibs, and chili peppers.
- “Chocolate Coconut Graham Cracker Porter,” by Denver Beer Co (W4)
- 8% ABV kicked-up version of longtime favorite Graham Cracker Porter, this beer was aged on dark chocolate and coconut. The result is a rich, flavorful beer nuanced with chocolate, vanilla and a creamy coconut finish.
- “Laughing Clown,” by MobCraft Beer Inc (Y17)
- 9.8% ABV Chocolate stout that hits you in the face with chocolate. Loads of cacao nibs, on a roasty American Style Stout.
- ” Chocolate Chipotle Porter,” by Seabright Brewery (X3)
- 6.8% ABV beer is a lightly smoked chocolate chipotle porter made with heaps and heaps of organic cacao nibs.
- “Mocha IPA,” by Stone Brewing Company (MB18)
- 9% ABV IPA with Coffee and Cacao.
- “Xocoveza,” by Stone Brewing Co (MB18)
- 8.1% ABV stout with flavors that mimic a Mexican Style Hot Chocolate.
- “Moondoor Dunkel,” by Wibby Brewing (Z8)
- 5.5% ABV European-Style Dark Lager made with cacao nibs (bakers chocolate) provide for a coffee-like, roasty start to this easy finishing dark lager.
- “Big Schloss Imperial Chocolate Stout,” by Winchester Brew Works (Z7)
- 8.1% ABV American Imperial Stout, rich and roasty. This stout is made with pounds of Dutch-process cocoa powder for a bittersweet finish.
Mid Atlantic Region
- “Puff Puff Shiv,” by Prison City Brewing (B12)
- 8% ABV brown ale dosed with 50 boxes of Cocoa Puffs cereal. Taste and aroma is, well, exactly what you’d expect.
- “Chocolate Milk Stout,” by 4 Hands Brewing Co (C6)
- 5% ABV Milk Stout with chocolate malt and chocolate.
- “Chocolate Milk Peanut Butter Porter,” by Main and Mill Brewing Company (C20)
- 5% ABV rich porter loaded with peanut butter and chocolate.
- “Shake Chocolate Porter,” by Boulder Beer Co (I1)
- 5.9% ABV twist on the traditional robust American Porter, Shake Chocolate Porter is dark black in color with rich, sweet aromatics and flavors of dark chocolate, coffee and caramel. This unique brew blends five different grains, including Chocolate Wheat.
- “Big Bad Baptist,” by Epic Brewing Company (I34)
- 12% ABV Imperial Stout aged in whiskey barrels with cacao nibs and small batch coffee.
- “Son of a Baptist,” by Epic Brewing Company (I34)
- 8% ABV Imperial Stout with cacao nibs and artisanal small batch coffee.
- “Feely Effects,” by Fiction Beer Company (G13)
- 8% ABV Chocolate Milk Stout brewed with Green Tea.
- “Death by Coconut,” by Oskar Blues Brewery & Tasty Weasel Tap Room (F1)
- 6.5% ABV Robust Porter with intense fresh cacao flavors swirl with popping coconut aromas, all supported by a semi-sweet porter made from loads of dark chocolate and extra dark caramel malt.
- “Ghana Chocolate Porter,” by Snowbank Brewing (I8)
- 7.2% ABV Pawnee Porter infused with freshly roasted Ghana cacao beans from Nuance Chocolate.
New England Region (dark gray color)
- “Awake,” by Night Shift Brewing Inc. (R23)
- 6.7% ABV Coffee porter aged with Counter Culture coffee; notes of fresh roasted coffee and baker’s chocolate.
- “Chocolate Rain,” by The Bruery (N32)
- 19.7% ABV Bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout with cacao nibs and vanilla beans.
- “Abuelita’s Chocolate Stout,” by Border X Brewing (N28)
- 8% ABV Mexican Chocolate Sweet Stout.
- “Midnight Express,” by Escape Craft Brewery (O15)
- 6% ABV Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Milk Stout.
- “Darkside of Paradise,” by Monkey Paw Brewing (P27)
- 6% ABV Sweet stout with cocoa nibs, macadamia nut meal and vanilla beans.
- “Tusk and Grain Coffee Porter,” by Saint Archer Brewing Company (Q21)
- 10.93% ABV Imperial Porter aged in Tequila and Bourbon barrels, finished with Mostra Coffee and Mexican Chocolate.
Pacific Northwest Region
- “Callipygian,” by Avery Brewing Company (K1)
- 17.4% ABV Imperial Stout aged in Bourbon barrels with coffee, cocoa, cocoa nibs, and vanilla beans added.
- “Especial,” by Oakshire Brewing (L12)
- 14% ABV Whiskey Barrel Aged Imperial Stout with Chili peppers, Cocoa, and Coffee.
- “Imperial Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Stout,” by Ass Clown Brewing Co (J32)
- 11.5% ABV American Imperial Stout. We have bumped our Ass Clown Stout up to an Imperial brewed with Truffle Sea Salt with notes of coffee, sea salt and a heavy dose of chocolate flavor.
- “Upper Decker Chocolate,” by Brew Bus Brewing (J28)
- 6.5% ABV chocolate peanut butter porter is dessert in a pint.
- “Bourbon Barrel Aged Sexual Chocolate,” by Foothills Brewing (M32)
- 9.75% ABV cocoa infused Imperial Stout aged in bourbon barrels.
- “O.A.S.I.S. Imperial Stout,” by Rick Tanner’s Grille & Bar/Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative (M8)
- 10% ABV Old as Sh** Imperial Stout infused with cocoa nibs and vanilla beans soaked in Jeremiah Weed Sarsaparilla Whiskey then aged in Four Roses Single Select Barrel for 6 months.
- “Imperial Perkolatte,” by River Dog Brewing Company (M7)
- 11.2% ABV British-Style Imperial Stout is luscious and dark, this stout was brewed with local coffee, cocoa nibs, and vanilla.
- “Carolina Panther,” by Sanctuary Brewing Company (M4)
- 7.5% ABV. The Panther is a full-bodied Porter brewed with French Broad cocoa nibs.
- “Ski In Ski Stout,” by Telluride Brewing Company (J34)
- 5.8% ABV Oatmeal Stout brewed with an abundance of espresso and dry hoped with coco nibs, this Oatmeal Stout is smooth yet extremely complex. The balance of coffee and dark chocolate makes this stout a perfect beer choice for breakfast or after a long day of skiing.
- “Pay It Forward Cocoa Porter,” by West Sixth Brewing Co (J8)
- 7% ABV delicious porter brewed with organically grown, fair trade cocoa nibs. Loads of chocolate and coffee notes.
- “Snake Cake,” by West Sixth Brewing Co (J8)
- 13% ABV Imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels with cocoa nibs and vanilla beans. A real crowd-pleaser!
- “Stout Americano,” by Marble Brewery (E10)
- 7% ABV coffee beer is roasty and robust, this chewy stout rides long waves of chocolate malt and an infusion of locally sourced espresso beans. Enjoy with chicharrones, and red chile, stone ground dark chocolate, and the rising sun.
Happy chocolate beer drinking! Please comment below and tell us which beer is your favorite.